Presuppositions of NLP
You will be able to recognise NLP strategies because they are elegant, effective, timely and ecological in their outcome. Done by a competent practitioner, NLP is easily integrated, generative and powerful. In working with NLP, we presuppose certain things as a working theory, and in so doing, create an expectation of change and power. Here are are some of the basic concepts an NLP practitioner will be working from:
- The map is not the territory, the description is not the experiences
- You can’t change things at the level of thinking that created the problem.
- There is no failure, only feedback. If something doesn’t work, try something else – there is a way.
- Everyone has all the resources they need within themselves, however they may need some skills training, or simple awareness before they can get to the next level.
- Change the (emotional) state, change the experience.
- Change the strategy, change the behaviour.
- Everything you do influences others in some way. It’s generally useful to influence consciously and with integrity.
- There is always a positive intention behind every behaviour – even if the behaviour is now out of date. (Find the intention, the system will move towards more useful behaviours.)
- The meaning of our communication is the result we get (our intention is only step one. If our meaning isn’t received, it’s up to us to change the vehicle of the message!)
- NLP can only be done in the NOW – a person remembers in the present, thinks in the present, feels in the present. All the clues of language and physiology unfold while discussing and remembering an experience as you work with the client.
Everything you do can utilise the skills, strategies and principles of NLP, allowing you to enhance and polish your communication, business processes, personal well-being and inevitably improving your work with your clients.
If you’d like to know more about the rich processes of using NLP to enhance whatever techniques you currently offer, and create an even better therapeutic relationship with your clients, please get in touch with me (Jen Tiller). I’ve been using NLP for nearly 20 years, and benefited from training by many of the founders and key developers – Richard Bandler, Robert Dilts, Paul McKenna, Sid Jacobson, Stephen Gilligan, Judith Lowe and others.
Professional members of www.healerzone.com get a 15% discount on all training or mentoring with Jen Tiller.
firstname.lastname@example.org 01462 624 160